Round Table on Homelessness
Letter to the EU Irish Presidency
Brussels - 28/01/2013.
FEANTSA, Caritas Europa, Eurodiaconia and the Red Cross EU Office welcome the Irish
Presidency of the EU Council’s announcement of an EU Roundtable Discussion of Ministers with
Responsibility for Homelessness, hosted by Minister Jan O’Sullivan TD, Minister for Housing and
Planning, on the 1st March 2013 in Leuven. As EU-level organisations whose members are
active in the fight against homelessness across Europe, we would like to thank the Irish
Presidency for taking this important initiative
FEANTSA, Caritas Europa, Eurodiaconia and the Red Cross EU Office hope that the
Roundtable Discussion of EU Ministers with Responsibility for Homelessness will be a
productive occasion for shared policy analysis that leads to practical conclusions as to how the
EU can best continue its work on homelessness.
We encourage all EU Ministers with
responsibility for homelessness to attend and hope that the meeting can provide concrete
recommendations. Key questions that ministers could address in this context include:
1. How can the EU maximize opportunities for effective knowledge development and
transnational learning on homelessness?
2. How can the EU’s Cohesion Policy support effective action in the fight against
3. How can the Europe 2020 framework support the effective monitoring of
homelessness and policies to tackle it?
4. How can the EU monitor and limit the impact of the crisis in terms of increased
homelessness and increased vulnerability to homelessness?
5. How can the EU best support a social investment approach to prevent and tackle
homelessness over the long term?
6. How can the proposed Fund for European Aid to the Most Deprived support the fight
against homelessness (FEAMD)?
Read our recommendations regarding these critical questions.
Read more about our Humanitarian Diplomacy work in the field of social policy.